Friday, October 1, 2010

Dough Party

It's Cookie Dough Fundraiser time at Kenny's school!  Buckets come in all sorts of flavors, and are $9 each or 3 for $25.  If you want to support the Kent State Child Development Center and get some tasty buckets of cookie dough- GO SOME WERE ELSE!  I can even give you the contact info for another parent that is selling the junk.  Kenny and I, however, will not be doing that.  Instead, we're having a dough party- our version of the Boston Tea Party. 

Don't get me wrong, I love his school.  If I didn't, I wouldn't be spending more on his early childhood education than I'll probably some day spend on his college education.  The fundraiser goes to a great cause, the Center Family Connection (our version of the PTA).  The CFC hosts Free Family Fun nights every semester, topical parent meetings to help educate parents, provides spectacular supplies for the students both indoors and outdoors, as well as functions in the community through the Haymaker Farmers' Market Kids at the Market and other venues.  I am 100% geeked about his school and what they do. 

Except this fundraiser.  I understand that it has a decent return on time/effort investment- 40% of all proceeds go to the school.  At the same time, we've hosted multiple events discussing the importance of childhood nutrition.  We have a school  vegetable garden.  The kids' snacks are healthful.  They have a strict snack policy for parties and events.  Then we sell this junk.  Great! 

If you would like to stand up with me and support Kenny's school while not teaching that hypocrisy is fine, then feel free to contact me.  Kenny and I will still be taking donations for his school, and if you want tasty treats as well, we'll happily bake a dozen cookies for you- to your specs.  Your flavor, your dietary restrictions, whatever.  Heck, I'll even bake cookies for some else if you want to gift them to some one or an organization.  Just help us raise money for Ken's school (specifically, the outdoor environmental education center that we're working on funding) while at the same time sending a message that kids deserve better.  Kids deserve authenticity.  Am I being a kill-joy?  Absolutely.  But I'm a principled kill-joy. 

"Be the change you wish to see in the [playground]."  Mahatma Ghandi

No comments:

Post a Comment