Saturday, November 17, 2012

Month of Thanks, Week Three

Sunday, 11 November, 2012- It's Veterans Day, and I'm thankful to all who have served in our armed forces and Peace Corps (and Americorps and related groups).  In peace time and in war time.  To all those who have helped to make this nation what it is through their dedication and service, I commend and thank you.

Monday, 12 November, 2012- I'm thankful for my chosen family, who share many of my beliefs, appreciate similar things, have similar priorities, and have still allowed me into their lives.  They had a choice to be a part of mine or not, and they chose to do so, and have stood by me and been supportive on some of the hardest days I've faced.  They love me for who I am, not who they think I should be, or who I was when I was a child.   They could choose to leave when things get too tough, but they don't.

Tuesday, 13 November, 2012- I am thankful for random emails from strangers asking for my help with a "Kent Heroes" photographic story.  Some people still take an interest in our fight to keep a small lot for children, the arts, and the community, even if the odds are getting slimmer and most of Kent has moved on and lost interest.  And I'm thankful for getting the chance to be part of a very grassroots, organic building of community against long odds and deep pockets and close connections.  I have learned so much from this process, it's unbelievable.  Now, if we could just win, that would be gravy.

Wednesday, 14 November, 2012- I'm thankful for my education and the path that this choice has lead me.  So many people don't even consider education an option, or look down on it as irrelevant, and I honestly can't imagine a life like that.  To be clear, I'm not saying degrees=education, I'm saying that I'm thankful for my education, which has occurred in and out of schools, on my own and with others, through success and failure.  Education is no where near the same thing as a degree, and I am far more thankful for my education than my degrees.  It's more important to developing a person, even if it may not have the prestige of a degree.

Thursday, 15 November, 2012- I'm thankful for the years that I've had with Dwight, and the person that he is, flawed human as we both are.  It's been a lot of struggles, but he's been there, and G-D it, I love him.  Which makes both our flaws so much harder to deal with.  Not liking him would be so much easier than this on many days.  He has faith in me when I don't, he makes me not be a hermit, and he reminds me that there's this thing called "reality" that might not match up to my ideals.  No matter where our fate lies, for better or worse, we've helped to make each other who we are.

Friday, 16 November, 2012- I'm thankful for endings.  It's the end of the week, and tomorrow starts another weekend.  Time to try and rest, time to be together, just the three of us, and time to let our hair down and have some fun.  Just one more day of wrap-up and anticipation, and we're there.

Saturday, 17 November, 2012- I'm thankful for seeing friends that I miss.  A chosen sister is coming into town today, and I can't wait.  It's Saturday, so Haymaker Farmers' Market is going on, where I'll get to see more friends than I know what to do with.  They exhaust me, but I love these people.  My tribe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment