Saturday, November 10, 2012

Month of Thanks, Week Two

Sunday, 4 November, 2012- Today I am thankful for a house to clean, and people I love to make that house a home.  It's not big or fancy, but it keeps the weather out and gives us all something to work together on.  And honestly, I love this house because she just has so dang much character, like the three people who live here, and so many of our friends.

Monday, 5 November, 2012- I am grateful for the start of a new week, a new day, and the new chances it brings.  Time away from my family gives me time to invest in myself, and the work we did together over the weekend gives me the peace of mind to dedicate time to my work.  This chance to be who I am gives me the energy to be who they need me to be.

Tuesday, 6 November, 2012, Election Day- I am thankful for the discussion that this election is bringing about.  It's not an easy discussion, but nothing worth doing is simple.  From Facebook, today:

     Today is the day that (theoretically) we voice our opinion on the leaders of our nation. Those votes area
     cast based on 2 billion dollars of advertising, from various sources besides the candidates, and often
     from unknown donors. There may even be a few hours of actual research that go into the choice. And
     then the electoral college gets to cast their vote, which (again, theoretically) will represent the will of the
     majority of the people in their respective states. And the two major choices are a "liar" who "doesn't
     understand Americans" or someone who's "not as bad as the other choices" (take your pick- those all
     have been used to describe both candidates). If worse comes to worse, there's always the possibility of
     just letting nine life-appointed judges decide for us, a la 2000.

     But at least your local and state elections make a difference!

     Whatever way this whole thing ends up, look at the people you meet today. They are people, they care    
     about our country and our community, they have families whom they love, the work for the benefit of 
     themselves and others, and their DNA is *vastly* similar to your own. You do not know their story, you 
     have no right to judge them- there but for fortune and all that. Then roll up your sleeves, and stiffen your 
     back, because if we're going to be a civilized society, we all have a metric shit-ton of work to do, and 
     open your eyes, because it's hard to work without knowing what's going on.

Wednesday, 7 November, 2012- I am so amazingly grateful for the move toward equality that our country has made in the very recent time.  Last night's win for the first openly LGBTQ person to the Congress, the passage of marriage equality in Maine, Maryland, and Washington, and an all-woman delegation for the first time ever (in New Hampshire) shows that we are moving toward a society of inclusion, not exclusion.  Let's keep up this momentum.

Thursday, 8 November, 2012- I have gratitude for the flexibility that my chosen career has given to me to deal with taking care of my family and myself the way I need to, the flexibility of mind that has allowed me to embrace non-typical ideas, people, processes, and aesthetics in my life, and the returning flexibility of my body after far too long focusing on just staying head-above-water now that I am making the time to be me and love me.

Friday, 9 November, 2012- I am grateful for simplicity in my life.  Call me lazy, but I prefer not to complicate matters with things like beauty routines, gadgets, battles with my kid over clothes, and things that I don't see as necessary for me. This leaves me free to focus on the things that do matter in my life.  I guess this means that I'm also thankful for an ability to ignore marketing.

Saturday, 10 November, 2012- I am thankful for an unusually warm weekend to enjoy and the time to enjoy it.  While getting work done around the house.  Because getting work done is fun for me.  And for that I'm also grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment